Travel with Technology
The flights and the hotels are booked and it is time to plan what you will bring with you! Allow me to “whisper” an important question to you… what gadgets will you need with you to enjoy your time away? It can be nice to escape from our technology but it can be so helpful when we plan the adventures of the day.
A. Lay them out on a table:
Electric Adapters for Outlets
small power strip
SD Card Reader
B. What functions do you need to be able to do?
Make phone calls
Send and receive email
Have office capabilities, i.e. writing, data capture
Entertainment – music, reading, movies
C. Now, how few of these items can you take and still do what you need?
Smart phone – calls, email, photos, GPS, internet connection, music
Tablet – internet connection, larger screen, back up photos with card reader, music library, Skype instead of phone calls. Can your tablet do all that you need?
Camera – to be able to take higher quality photos, but you will want to be able to back them up.
D. Once you have decided, here are some safety and management ideas:
- Contact your cell phone provider to see if they have a reasonable call and data plan in the places you are going.
- If not, research a local service provider in the country you will visit and consider if you can get a temporary plan there.
- Make a note of devices and their serial numbers to keep with your travel documents and a copy at home just in case of loss or theft. Does your insurance cover them while you are away?
- Carry them in waterproof bags to prevent moisture or any other fluid leaks from damaging them.
- If you do need to leave a tech item in your hotel room, you may want to check ahead to see if there is an in room safe.
- You may find that accommodations in Europe and airports have fewer outlets so the power strip allows you to charge more than one item at a time. Be sure to read the device directions to understand what power needs to be used/converted.
As with so many things in travel, a little planning and forethought will serve you well. We understand that travel situations can be dynamic and we at European Travel Whisperers want to help you prepare for all the fascinating possibilities of your unique adventure. Now, get out there and see the world! Please add ideas or comments that have worked for you to share with our travel community!